When a semi-trailer is fully loaded, it’s going to be 70 feet long and weigh up to 80,000 pounds. On a dry road, it’s going to take 20% to 40% more pavement to come to a complete stop than a passenger vehicle. If a semi-trailer impacts with a passenger vehicle at anything approaching highway speeds, it’s going to completely destroy that passenger vehicle. It’s highly likely that anybody inside is going to be severely injured or killed. According to the semi truck accident lawyers Oklahoma City OK from our offices, here are some of the common causes of semi-trailer accidents:
- Distracted driving by talking on a cell phone, texting, using a navigational device, eating, smoking or even watching a movie while driving.
- Driving too fast for weather or traffic conditions.
- Drowsy or fatigued driving. Federal hours of service rules are in place. Many truck drivers try to circumvent them.
- Drunk or drugged driving that impairs cognitive and manual driving abilities.
- Improper maintenance issues involving tires and brakes.
- Improper loading resulting in jackknifing and rollovers.
With severe injuries come extraordinary and overwhelming medical bills along with lost income, permanent disability, disfigurement, pain and suffering. Some semi-trailer accident victims are never able to return to their jobs. Our semi truck accident lawyers Oklahoma City OK can help. The insurer of the trucking company that employed the truck driver who hit you will have a team of investigators at the scene of the crash within hours. You need an experienced, aggressive and effective team on your side too. Contact us as soon as possible after any Oklahoma semi-trailer accident at 580-798-0447, or use our contact form at website, and you can arrange for a free consultation and case evaluation. We’re pleased to answer your questions and advise you on how we can put our team to work for you.